Brigidine College in St Ives, is an Independent Catholic Girls’ School of 900 students from years 7-12. Brigidine College was established by the Brigidine Sisters in 1954 when St Ives was still part of the Pymble Parish on the upper north shore of Sydney. In 1959 the Convent and the Novitiate were built and the Novices moved from Randwick to St Ives. The first Principal of Brigidine College St Ives was Sr Romuald Walz csb (1954-1959). In 1996 Mr John Bowie (1996-2005) was appointed the first lay Principal of Brigidine College. The College has grown from the original 9 students to approximately 850 students in 2010 and 900 in 2018.
The College building program has been ongoing since 1984 in response to the need for independent Catholic education for girls in the area. In 2001 St Brigid’s Chapel and the Religious Education Centre was completed. In 2005 the College completed its major Jubilee project, Bowie Hall. Completion of this new facility allowed for the refurbishment and renovation of the former Romuald Hall to create the Romuald Visual Arts Centre. In 2014 the Anita Murray Centre for Performing Arts and Sciences was opened by the then Governor of NSW, Her Excellency Professor The Honourable Dame Marie Bashir AD CVO, providing important updated facilities for the students and staff.
The College prides itself on catering for all girls across the spectrum of abilities in both an academic and co-curricular program. In addition to this the College is committed to extensive involvement in social justice programs that awaken in the girls a keen understanding of their role in the world as ambassadors of Christ.